Friday, September 12, 2008

Relationships

We have many significant relationships in our lives … childhood best friend, first love, mother and father, spouse, children, to name but a few. But, as a restaurant owner, I have learned, and now firmly believe, that another really important relationship in my life is the one with my chef.

I stopped cooking professionally 15 years ago, but I feel I still need to have a lot of say about what goes on in the kitchen. Over the past two and a half years of owning the inn, I have courted a couple of chefs without success. Just when I was about to give up and beginning to think that a match to complete this culinary experience would never happen … in walks Kristofer Rowe!

We not only had similar backgrounds, but also the same thoughts about food. Honestly, it
seemed too good to be true. Well, 18 months later, I can honestly say I have never been happier. It has gotten to the point that I can just think of a change for the menu and then find Kris has already done it!

The inn recently had a format change in its dining, which involved scaling back on kitchen staff, and, on a busy Saturday night, Kris (who is really a mutant from the X-men) transforms, and then uses his extraordinary chef powers to see that the kitchen runs without a hitch. And one more thing … he never (and I mean never) loses his cool.



It is wonderful to have Chef Kris in my life. (And sincere thanks also to Dawn, his real other half, for sharing him with us.)

No comments: