Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kate, Sam and the Tale of the Wedding Cake

I have helped plan many weddings both here at the Bee and Thistle Inn and beyond.

One of the greatest gifts of being an event planner is meeting the people you will be working with. Some of my best life memories come from just such people. When sitting down with a couple for the very first time to talk over plans for their special day, what I find most interesting are their visions of the upcoming event.

As we work on the details, all sorts of idea come up. But one of the things I dread to hear is a plan for someone other than me to do the wedding cake. Perhaps it’s Auntie Bessie, who wants to be helpful, or the bride’s best friend that has always wanted to try her hand at baking.

It’s not that I am the best wedding cake maker in the world, but I do have two fundamental rules. One, it must taste unbelievable, and second, it must look beautiful.



Enter Kate and Sam, who just were married this past Saturday, Oct. 11 (one of the most special weddings I have been part of.) Looking at this beautiful couple sitting across from me, suddenly out pops the question, “Can Sam make the wedding cake?”

I try to explain how involved it is to make a wedding cake for almost 200 people, but a few weeks before the wedding, I open an email from Kate saying that Sam will definitely be making the wedding cake … WHAT?

I think for a moment before responding. They are an amazing couple - I love them and, of course, they can do what ever they want.

The day before the wedding, I get another call. It’s Sam this time with a number of questions about putting the cake together. Plus he told me he thought it looked uneven.


I said I would come and look at it right away. Driving there, I told myself, “You should have listened to your own advice - this cake is going to be a mess and all the people at the wedding are going to think you made it.”

As I walked into the kitchen where Sam was working, I had a big surprise! The cake was perfectly baked and, when it was put together, it looked absolutely beautiful.

When telling guests that the groom, Sam, had made the wedding cake for his bride, Kate, everyone (women) melted. And they all said, "Isn’t that romantic?"

All the best to Kate and Sam … oh, and the cake tasted great!

No comments: